Tuesday, February 2, 2016

By Popular Request

This month in class we are dusting off our brayers and getting inky with some brayered backgrounds and silhouette stamps. Not only do they look fantastic, but they also act as enough of a focal feature on your card that you rarely need anything else.

Brayering is a lot of fun but it does take a bit of practise. I love the wonderful blending I can achieve when I just can't seem to get quite the same effect with sponging. If you're interested, I've got a short video tutorial on brayering over in the right hand sidebar - look for the heading Tutorials - that someone took when I was demonstrating at a Stampin' Up! event a couple of years ago.

For the first card I used pool party and blushing bride inks and a circle punch mask. I brayered from opposite ends of my whisper white paper and the middle third of the piece is overlapped inks. Doesn't it make an exquisite sunrise/sunset?


Materials used:
  • stamps - World of Dreams, Wetlands
  • card - pool party, basic black, whisper white
  • other - brayer, 1 1/4" circle punch, post-it note, stamp-a-ma-jig, Dimensionals

I've used masking again for the next card, this time to mask off an area to brayer in. I stamped first then laid the circle mask and a post-it along the bottom. The sentiment was done on the computer. Ink colours used were delightful dijon, cajun craze, cherry cobbler.


Materials used:
  • stamps - Landscape Silhouettes (Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps)
  • card - cajun craze, basic black, whisper white, delightful dijon
  • other - circle framelits, Big Shot, brayer, Dimensionals, post-it note, computer and printer, banner punch

And lastly a 'birdies on the wire' card. This time I brayered with daffodil delight, calypso coral and watermelon wonder.


Materials used:
  • stamps - none
  • card - Sahara sand, basic black, whisper white
  • other - bird punch, Dimensionals, hello honey thick bakers twine, brayer

Hope you like the brayered cards and are inspired to give it a go yourself. But be warned - once you get the hang of it, it's terribly addictive! 

Thanks for calling in.

Cheers
Kez

No comments: