Monday, December 2, 2013

December Creative Crew Challenge - DSP Focus

"Art begins in imitation and ends in innovation" (Mason Cooley).

This month's DSP focus is the totally gorgeous Modern Medley papers but as I've used those for a few other crew projects, I chose our other option of using basic black and very vanilla.

We are also to CASE someone we admire. I picked a fellow Australian demo whose projects I have found particularly inspiring lately, Mel Sharp from Melbourne. Mel has a clean, crisp style and makes fantastic use of white space on her work. I chose to CASE a stunningly elegant Christmas card she made recently in navy and white. Here's Mel's card:


And here is my CASE. I changed it to black and vanilla and for a bit of fun, made my window shape a Christmas ornament instead of a circle:


Materials used:
  • stamps - Four the Holidays, Christmas Collectibles
  • card - basic black, very vanilla
  • other - holiday ornaments framelits, pearls, Big Shot, dimensionals, stamp-a-ma-jig, embroidery thread (non SU)

To make the frame I traced around the outside of the ornament shape before cutting it on the Big Shot (the magnetic platform holds it in place) and then cut the larger shape by hand.

Thanks for such great inspiration Mel, I had a lot of fun making this card. 

Pop on over to Splitcoaststampers and check out the other crew members' projects. You can even look at Mel's gallery too!

Thanks for stopping by.

Cheers
Kez

2 comments:

Margaret said...

What an absolutely elegant CASE! Both cards look wonderful and I love the slight adjustments you made to make it your own!

Mel Sharp said...

Thanks so much Kerry! Your card is just gorgeous....now I'm going to have to case yours!!! Love love love your ornament window! TFS xxx