Wednesday, August 4, 2010

If At First You Don't Succeed

This is a card I made last year with a thought to using it for my Stamp-a-Stack classes, but I wasn't entirely happy with it and didn't end up using it. I call this version 1:


So, I am now planning my SAS for this month and decided to revamp the card.

The things I didn't like were the line at the end of the embossing (above the sentiment), the gap left above the left hand bauble, and the ribbon. So I put my thinking cap on and made some changes: added another layer (which I think makes it look more finished), embossed the greeting (to eliminate the line) and shortened the top panel (to eliminate the gap above the bauble). Here is version 2:

Still not entirely happy - not sure about the stamped sentiment being embossed, plus I think the embossed background dominates the card a little - not what I was after.

Thinking cap back on, reverted to original size for the top panel and moved the sentiment from the larger piece, allowing me to still emboss the whole bit. Now the embossed background does what it is meant to - stays in the background - while my front panel is the main focal point and the sentiment fills in the gap above the baubles. Hooray for version 3!


This gorgeous ornament stamp is from a set called Delightful Decorations, which I was lucky enough to receive from a friend in Canada last year. It comes with a matching punch - the ornament punch, which you've seen samples from recently - which makes it oh so easy! You may perhaps see these two items around quite a lot after 1st September ...

Thanks for calling in today. Have a good one!

Cheers
Kez

5 comments:

Lynda said...

Don't you just love it when a plan finally comes into being...or in this case a card. I love version 3...but did not really mind the other 2 either, but know what u mean abt the embossing. I have the same folder and it is a tad frustrating that it doesn't cover ALL of the plastic!!. Love the duo toned feel of the card!! Brilliant.

AGohl said...

I really like how version 3 turned out!

Jakarta said...

wonderful crafts.

keep up the good mood.

Alison said...

Hi Kez, loving card 3 (I really liked cards 1 & 2 too). Can't wait to get my hands on that set (and punch).
xox

PS thanks for your comments on my blog (and I'm so glad I found yours).

Andrea L - EnchantINK said...

Loved how this one evolved ... and even though I couldn't see anything wrong with the first ... I know that feeling of thinking "something is not just quite right"! And ... the end one is just perfect! Hugs Andrea xxx