Saturday, April 25, 2009

Lest We Forget

Good morning all. I hope if you have been up for a dawn service or ANZAC Day march that you managed a cup of something hot to warm you.

For anyone visiting from overseas, ANZAC Day is a public holiday here to mark the anniversary of the first major military action fought by troops from Australia and New Zealand during the first World War. It is now a day on which we pay our respects to all those from both countries who have fought in any military action and gets its name from the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps, who were called Anzacs. If you are interested in learning a little more, click here.

Today I have a scrapbook layout to share. (I know! shock!) This layout was done quite a while ago and isn't one of my best, but it is pertinent to today and one on which I proudly commemorate part of our family's war history.

My FIL was born and raised in the US and in May of 1941 he joined the Army Air Corps as an armorer gunner, later to become a navigator. He was stationed at Hickam Field on the shore of Pearl Harbor Naval Base when the Japanese Imperial forces attacked on 7 Dec 1941. These pages show photos of him and his bomber crew and the main photo on the second page is when he attended the Pearl Harbor survivors 50th reunion (the journalling is under here).


Thanks for stopping by. Have a good day.

Cheers
Kez

1 comment:

Lynda said...

I don't s'book Kez, so I am in awe of anyone who puts together a work of ate with pics. Well done. It looks FAB.